SPARK Leader for Supplemental Instruction
Hours: 12 hours to 15 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Duration: Academic year when classes are in session
Description: Supplemental Instruction Leaders provide peer-assisted learning through group academic assistance to students in specific courses. SI Leaders report directly to the Coordinator of SPARK.
SPARK Leader Qualifications
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale) is required.
- A grade of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale) in the selected course; prior enrollment with the professor who is to teach the selected course is preferred.
- Demonstrates content-competency.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Availability to work at least 12-15 hours per week.
- Attend all class lecture meetings of the selected course, take notes, do homework and read all assigned materials including texts and supplemental readings.
- Conduct regularly schedules study sessions (typically 1 per week) throughout the term using strategies learned through with the SPARK Coordinator for debrief sessions.
- Regularly meet with the SPARK Coordinator for debrief sessions.
- Discuss observations of the SPARK sessions.
- Discuss the creation and use of SPARK sessions handouts.
- Discuss the planning of SPARK sessions and use of a wide variety of learning strategies.
- Notify the supervisor about problems or potential problems.
- Assist SPARK coordinator in training other SPARK leaders
- Provide additional supplemental instruction sessions and/or marathon sessions as necessary (e.g., prior to exams).
- Provide handouts for use during SPARK sessions.
- Ascertain course requirements and maintain contact throughout the term with the course professor of designated representative.
- Meet with other campus SPARK leaders and supervisory staff at scheduled meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Coordinator
- Complete necessary personnel paperwork.
- Attend SPARK leader training workshop prior to the beginning of each term.
- Work with the SPARK coordinator to select appropriate times and scheduling of SPARK sessions.
- Make periodic announcements about the availability of the SPARK sessions to the students.
- Ensure that initial SPARK survey and End-of-Course surveys are distributed and assist with data analysis.
- Collect attendance data for every SPARK session, including student names, course title, data and time of session.
- Assist SPARK coordinator in the preparation of end-of-course reports and other reports as requested.
- Maintain a professional attitude about matters such as class standards, grades, and student complaints.
- Model appropriate professional attitudes and behaviors to staff, students and others.
- Provide SPARK Coordinator with an up-to-date schedule of your SPARK sessions.
Potential Learning Outcomes Associated with Position:
Acquisition of Knowledge
- Demonstrate competent and outstanding knowledge in specific academic content areas
- Enhance content knowledge by actively engaging with content
- Demonstrate competent and outstanding skills in peer-based learning strategies
- Acquire skills in digital peer-based learning techniques
- Acquire skills in time management
- Acquire skills in academic success coaching
- Acquire skills in maintaining database information
Application of Knowledge
- Apply content in specified courses
- Apply peer-based learning strategies and academic success coaching
Personal and Professional values
- Adhere to personal academic integrity in accordance with university policy
- Adhere to highest professional standards to maintain certification
Sense of Community
- Provide leadership to others students in directing to campus resources
- Serve as a student leader and representative of the campus community
- Participate in community of peer learning assistants
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Identify student learning needs
- Identify student needs for campus resources
- Model critical thinking skills in peer-based learning environment
- Apply learning strategies to meet student learning needs
- Recommend campus resources to meet student needs
- Acquire and apply skills in interpersonal communication, digital communication, and effective writing and speaking